About the Research
The mission of the Human Research Protection Program is:
* To safeguard and promote the health and welfare of human research subjects by ensuring that their rights, safety and well-being are protected;
* To provide timely and high quality education, review, and monitoring of human research projects;
* To facilitate excellence in human subjects research.
We welcome your comments!
If you have questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions about our Human Research Protection Program, please contact us.
Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Institutional Review Board
10701 East Blvd. 151W
Cleveland, OH 44102
Phone: (216) 791-3800 ext. 4650
E-mail: Monica O'Loughlin
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center has a several large, well-funded research and development programs. We have current studies in —
* biomedical research
* health services research
* clinical and cooperative studies
* rehabilitation research
We have two VA-funded centers of excellence:
* Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) Center
* Advance Platform Technology Center
We are an active participant in the VA Cooperative Studies programs. These are large studies on health issues vital to our nation's veterans. We have strong programs in both basic and clinical science.
Scientists focus on ways to combat antibiotic resistant bacteria. They look at treatment and causes of heart disease, sleep disorders, loss of vision and much more.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center has full accreditation status from the National Commission for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for its Human Subjects Protection Program.
Research Services Offered
Our current research studies enhance the medical center's ability to provide state-of-the-art medical care, and innovative techniques and treatments to veterans.
We have about 220 active research projects are currently being conducted at our Medical Center in areas such as —
* infectious disease
* autoimmune disorders and rheumatology
* pulmonary diseases
* hematology / oncology
* kidney disease (nephrology)
* neurology / ocular diseases
* spinal cord injury
* stroke rehabilitation
* schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders